As told to Keri Mitchell by Sally Rodriguez, Dallas Park and Recreation Department’s historian. All photos are courtesy of the Dallas Municipal Archives and curated by Rodriguez.

1949

In the background, looking south, is the Northwest Highway Drive-In that was at the corner of Northwest Highway and Hillcrest from 1941-1963. The new street on the right side is Edgemere. See that there are no trees?

1954

A short five years later, the neighborhood around the park has been developed. The new tennis courts, pool and playground are visible as well as the newly planted trees.

1966

The trees in the park as well as the neighborhood have grown substantially in the last 12 years, and a new picnic pavilion has been added to the park.

Rodriguez authored the book “White Rock Lake,” available at area bookstores and through arcadiapublishing.com.


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.