A slice of cake and a glass of Champagne are typically the perfect combination to end any celebration, but if you have a love for design and desserts, you will want to spoil your guests with a lovely dessert buffet. Whether it’s for a simple baby shower or an extravagant wedding, you are sure to send your friends home feeling extra special.
Dessert buffets are becoming more popular and provide something sweet for everyone’s taste. Start with a theme such as what you are celebrating or seasonal colors. While deciding on the menu, include baked goods, candies, confections and the perfect cocktail.
Mint green and gold are two of my favorite spring colors, and my favorite item on this dessert table is the toasted coconut marshmallow.
Toasted coconut marshmallows
4 envelopes unflavored gelatin
²⁄³ cup cold water
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup water
²⁄³ cup light corn syrup
½ teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups toasted coconut
1. Brush 9×13-inch baking dish with vegetable oil and line with plastic wrap. Sprinkle ½ cup toasted coconut to cover the bottom of the pan.
2. Pour ²⁄³ cup water into the bowl of the mixer with whisk attached. Sprinkle gelatin over water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup and ½ cup water and bring to boil, stirring often. Continue boiling until syrup reaches 238 F on a candy thermometer (soft ball stage).
4. Turn the mixer on low and add syrup to gelatin. Beat on low until slightly cooled and then gradually increase speed to high. Continue beating until the mixture is cool and peaks form.
5. Pour mixture into prepared pan (over toasted coconut). Immediately sprinkle ½ cup toasted coconut to cover the top of the marshmallows.
6. Allow marshmallows to cool and become firm, about 3 hours. Pour remaining toasted coconut into a bowl. Dust a cutting board with confectioners sugar and coat your knife with oil. Cut marshmallows into desired size and toss each piece in toasted coconut to coat completely. Store marshmallows in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Makes 28-30 2-inch-square marshmallows
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.