A perfect little pie is a great alternative to a traditional slice and completes any outdoor barbecue or picnic. Triple-berry hand pies are made with flaky cream cheese pastry dough and filled with thick fruit compote in every bite. There is so much to love about these fruit-filled pockets. Hand pies are portable, need no utensils and give you the perfect excuse to head to the market for an assortment of fresh, seasonal fruits. Happy summer baking!
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1. Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan. Allow the fruit to boil for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely before using.
2. Fill hand pies and bake according to cream cheese pie crust recipe.
Cream cheese pie dough
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons ice water
Egg wash: 1 egg, whisked together with 2 tablespoons water
1. Beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and salt with mixer until smooth. Slowly add the flour and beat on low until combined. Add ice water and beat until mixture forms a ball and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
2. Wrap dough and chill for 1 hour (prepare filling now, see recipe on previous page).
3. Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll dough out to 1/8-inch thick on a slightly floured surface. Cut into 16 rounds or square pieces, 3 inches each.
4. Place 8 of the rounds on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Place 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the middle of each pie crust. Brush egg wash onto the edges of the dough.
5. Place another pie crust on top of filling and seal dough so the filling cannot get out. Create slits on the top of the hand pies. Brush egg wash onto the entire tops of the hand pies and bake at 375 F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
6. Allow the hand pies to cool before serving.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.