Want to be more civically engaged? Here are five suggestions.
1. Give Councilman Lee Kleinman a call. This evening, Councilman Lee Kleinman will conduct a “Call in Town Hall Meeting.” Watch the live broadcast on Time Warner Cable channel 16 at 6:30 p.m. To participate, dial 855.269.4484 (English) or 888.410.3427 (Spanish). If you have a prior commitment, don’t fret. The District 11 representative will host two more meetings this month to discuss his budget plan. Click here for details.
2. Head to Nathan Adams Elementary. On August 18, Schreiber Volunteer Neighborhood Association meets to discuss the Forestwood development proposal. Councilwoman Jennifer Staubach Gates and Zoning Commissioner Margot Murphy will both be present. Attendees should gather in the Nathan Adams Elementary auditorium at 7 p.m.
3. Drive to 10707 Preston Road. Learn about Dallas ISD’s possible bond program August 19. DISD trustee’s Edwin Flores and Mike Morath will cohost the event at North Dallas Chamber of Commerce (10707 Preston Road). Register as soon as possible by clicking here.
4. Bookmark this url. All board and commission meetings held at City Hall will be now be broadcast online. “This will provide exceptional public access and transparency,” City Manager A.C. Gonzalez says. “The new technology will enable residents to engage with city government on their own time, rather than having to catch meetings live and in-person.” Click here to visit/bookmark the site that will stream the meetings. A schedule of upcoming broadcasts should be available at that same link soon.
5. Mark your calendar for September 8. The North Central Police Department holds its quarterly crime watch event September 8. Concerned citizens are invited to meet Deputy Chief Richard A. Watson and the mayor’s Chief of Community Relations Vana Hammond at Levine Academy. Arrive at 6:30 p.m.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.