It’s hot out there, but we found lots of fun things to do inside this week where it’s nice and cool:
The AC is always cranking at NorthPark. Check out these two free programs scheduled Saturday:
- The Dallas Opera’s Travis McGuire will perform outtakes from children’s operas such as “Jack and the Beanstalk,” “The Three Little Pigs” and more. The performance will take place at on level one between Nordstrom and Macy’s, June 9, 11-11:30 a.m.
- ArtROCKS! features Louise Bourgeois, a French-American artist known for her large-scale sculpture. She also was a painter and printmaker. Children can do art projects with Artist DIY, Creative Arts Center, KidArt and Sour Grapes. Expect e a Bookmarks scavenger hunt and walkSTEM tours. Level one between Nordstrom and Macy’s, June 9, 1-4 p.m.
Free chocolate! Just kidding. Consider two book events. The first, “Free Chocolate,” is a great name for a book.
- Amber Royer, author of “Free Chocolate,” will appear at Interabang Books, Thursday, June 7, 7 p.m. In her futuristic book, chocolate is Earth’s commodity — something everyone in the galaxy will kill for. 10720 Preston Road, Suite 1009B.
- Sarah Secor MacElroy, coauthor of “You’ve Got This, Mama!,” will sign books Sunday, June 10, 1-2 p.m., Barnes & Noble Preston Royal Shopping Center, 5959 Royal Lane, Suite 616.
Enjoy informal drawing with an artist.
- Guest artist Ian O’Brien will conduct a “Drawing from the Masters” session Sunday, June 10, 1:30-3 p.m. at the Meadows Museum. He will lead you through the galleries. 5900 Bishop Blvd.
- The Dallas Architecture Forum presents 365 Modern Living Cocktail parties. The Rock Cliff residence in Preston Hollow is featured Monday, June 11, 6-8 p.m. The party will give you a chance to see the residence and hear from members of the design team. Originally designed by renowned Dallas architect Harwood K. Smith, founder of HKS, the house was built in 1952 as a one-story house on one acre. Admission is $85 per person for Forum members or $100 for non-members. The party is 6 to 8 p.m. Valet parking will be provided. Attendance is limited. You can purchase tickets here.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.