We’re asking for readers’ memories and photos. Tell us!
You know you’re from Preston Hollow when:
- Every time you order pizza somewhere, you compare it to Marcos/My Family Pizza. The same family has been making their pies in Preston Royal since the late ‘50s.
- You go to Royal China and think about the Safari and its 7-foot tall doorman.
- You remember Mr. Peppermint visiting Titche’s department store in Preston Forest.
- Some of your old vinyl records have price tags from Minsky’s Music.
- You learned how to dance at Dick Chaplin’s in Preston Center.
- You learned how bowl at Preston Forest Lanes, now Virginia Cook/Corner Bakery/Staples.
- Richard L. Brown
- You remember eating at Kip’s Big Boy on special occasions.
- You recognize and know every private school uniform by color and plaid pattern.
- You remember that Chocolate Soup and then later Purple Cow were the coolest places for kids.
- You wax nostalgic about Gazeebo Burgers’ ranch dressing and video corner.
- You were cool enough to know what NHS meant.
- Paige Dawson
- You remember Andra’s, a two-story clothing store for girls. Clothes for little girls were downstairs and clothes for teenagers were upstairs.
- You know that the Spec’s in Preston Royal used to be a movie theater.
- Claire Rathbun
- You still refer to Hillstone’s as Houston’s.
- Elaine Walters
- You went to Ferrell’s Ice Cream at Valley View Mall, where if you could dare to eat a “Pig Sty” they would ring bells and make a big deal about it.
- You remember entering the Sanger Harris with the tile mosaic entrances and being in awe of the size of it.
- You know that cruising Forest was a rite of passage.
- Your first job was at Polar Bear Ashburn’s Ice Cream at Preston and Forest.
- Lisa Moetteli Nelson
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.