Mark Cuban, via Facebook

Preston Hollow neighbor Mark Cuban, billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks and reality TV star, rebukes New York Daily News report that he is considering running for president in 2020, telling the Dallas Morning News the story was overblown. 

Cuban told the Morning News on Tuesday that the reporter asked him about running.

“He asked me if I would run,” told the Morning News. “I said I wouldn’t rule it out, but the stars would have to align perfectly. So I don’t see it happening. Of course, that wasn’t the headline.”

The report in the Daily News made Cuban’s possibility of running sound more likely.

“I haven’t decided anything yet,” he told the Daily News on Monday before the Mavericks-Brooklyn Nets NBA game. “We’ll see what happens. It all comes down to how things play out.”

He continued: “It’s not something I feel like I have to do. But it’s something that if circumstances were right I would do.”

Cuban said there is a lot of uncertainty about the outcome of the Mueller report, which could influence the 2020 race and his decision.

The one thing the “Shark Tank” star is certain of is that he would run as an independent.

“If you have a message that people want to hear and will grab onto, it doesn’t matter if you’re an independent or in one of the two main parties,” he told the Daily News.

Cuban added he would reject any political contributions that did not come from individual donors.

Cuban similarly teased his candidacy in August 2017, when he said he wouldn’t put it high on his list of priorities but he’ll “see what happens,” USA Today reported.

So far, 12 candidates have joined the field for the 2020 race. William Weld, former Massachusetts governor, has launched an exploratory committee and could possibly challenge President Donald Trump as a Republican candidate.


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.