Dallas ISD announced that 12 schools are closed, due to tornado damage, according to NBCDFW.com.
Six campuses are waiting for Oncor to restore power:
- Hillcrest High School
- Medrano Middle School
- Franklin Middle School
- Dealey Montessori
- Joe May Elementary School
- Kramer Elementary School
Six DISD schools received more significant storm damage.
- The district is temporarily relocating Burnet, Cigarroa and Pershing Elementary Schools to Loos Field House, starting Wednesday.
- Walnut Hill Elementary is probably a total loss, according to DISD Superintendent Michael Hinojosa. Walnut Hill’s students and staff will move to vacant space at Tom Field Elementary.
- Cary Middle School may never be occupied again, according to Hinojosa. Cary’s students will be reassigned based on geography to Franklin and Medrano, starting Wednesday.
- Students at Thomas Jefferson High School will have the most dramatic change. They will be moved to West Dallas’ Thomas Edison Middle School, which is a vacant facility DISD was using as a teacher training space.
On the private school front:
- Dallas Lutheran School is closed Tuesday and Wednesday.
- St. Mark’s School of Texas will be closed at least through Wednesday.
- Episcopal School of Dallas will be closed Tuesday.
- St. Monica’s Catholic School is closed Tuesday.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.