In January of 1949, Neiman Marcus made plans to build its first branch store due to the original downtown location running out of room. The store was to be built in the Varsity Village shopping area on Preston Road––south of Northwest Highway facing Preston Center.
The store took three years to build, and it was aimed at suburban families, Flash Back Dallas reported. The design featured a Southwestern color palette with a glass mosaic, Kachina dolls, glass-walled patio and a commissioned Alexander Calder mobile.
This location lasted until NorthPark Center opened in 1965, when Neiman’s decided to close the original branch and move into NorthPark.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.