Photo courtesy of Ebby Halliday Realtors.

Dallas’ Ebby Halliday Companies, which was founded in 1945 by the late business woman Ebby Halliday, is 75 years old in 2020. Halliday died in 2015 at 104 and the company is now owned by billionaire Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Corp., but we wanted to celebrate the company’s 75th anniversary by highlighting some facts about the little white house at Preston Road and Northwest Highway. The house has served as an office for Ebby Halliday Realtors since the 1960s.

  • The colonial-style cottage dates back to the 1920s and is the oldest building for miles around, according to the Dallas Morning News.
  • It was originally a field office for developers turning farmland north of Dallas into neighborhoods.
  • “The house was built in 1926 by Ira P. DeLoache for a carriage house,” John Wathne, a Ebby Halliday Realtor, told the Preston Hollow Advocate in 2001. “DeLoache was a developer who owned quite a bit of land in the old Preston Hollow.”
  • The building was a town hall in the early 1940s.
  • Halliday bought the property in 1964 for about $100,000.
  • The building was set on fire in the 1970’s.
  • In 2019, the Ebby Halliday Foundation filed an application with the city of Dallas seeking recognition of the Little White House, according to CandysDirt.com.


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Preston Hollow.